Monday, August 08, 2005

BEING A PATIENT IS A FULL TIME JOB

I had two doctor appointments today. Actually neither one was with a doctor. One was with the doctor's ASSISTANT, the other with the chiropracter in his office.
It took two weeks to get an appointment with the assistant, but I carefully co-ordinated it with the traction appointment.
This morning about an hour before my first appointment, the chiropractor cancels and wants me to come to his office in Plano instead of Baylor.
That leaves me driving to Baylor early in the morning and probably waiting around to see the doctor's ASSISTANT and then rushing 28 miles to wait in another doctor's office.
WHO HAS TIME TO DO ANYTHING ELSE?
If I don't see the assistant, I can't get a medicine refill. (Somehow, the rules for patient care seem to be slanted toward doctor convenience, not patient need)
Many places charge a patient if they cancel with less than 24 hours notice.
But a doctor can cancel whenever he wants.

No comments: