June 22 to August 5, 2012
Dee and Charles Wylie Theater
I will never forget the first time I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was at a community college in San Antonio. I had never seen or heard anything by Andrew Lloyd Weber. I was mesmerized by the music, the staging, and the story.
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat resonated with me and I set my personal radar for Andrew Lloyd Weber. I saw it on Broadway and one other time.
I was thrilled to learn the Dallas Theatre Center would be performing it at the Dee and Charles Wyly Theater.
And doubly thrilled to learn it would be starring Liz Mikel, my friend and neighbor.
AN EVENT OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS
For two generations, this joyful, family-friendly musical has been giving audiences a new appreciation of the Old Testament story of Joseph, the boy dreamer. Sold into slavery by his brothers, Joseph becomes the ruler of Egypt.In DTC’s tuneful telling of this ancient story, practically every line is sung by the actors and a kids’ chorus, in styles from rock to western to a 1920s Charleston.
THIS IS NOTHING LIKE YOUR MOTHER’S DREAMCOAT
I told my friend Zac about this musical and he was really interested. But the performance we saw was nothing like the biblical -based show I had described. Dallas Theater Center's rendition of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a multi-media show with contemporary icons like ipads, hip-hop, humorous mentions of Dallas newest bridge and more.
The biblical story was reinterpreted into a party that would appeal to all generations. Forty local children add to the energy and enthusiasm. I saw them basking in their performer’s glory at the cast party and can only image the high of this opportunity. If you dream of being a performer and would like to be in Joseph, see the Bonus below.
THIS PERFORMANCE DESERVES A TOTAL “f”
It is fun, family-friendly, fantastically staged. Call the Box Office at 214-880-0202
BONUS: Be a star
DTC is giving fans everywhere a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to BE A STAR with a walk-on role in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
Follow these easy steps for a chance to SHINE with the cast of Joseph*
1. Watch the BE A STAR video
2. Learn the dance that Joseph associate choreographer and cast member Kent Zimmerman breaks down, step-by-step
3. Get creative and show your moves on video! Make crazy costumes, design a mini-set, cast a crew of friends as back-up dancers... whatever it takes to make the video AMAZING!
4. Post the video to the Facebook wall (facebook.com/DallasTheaterCenter) by 10:00am (CST) Monday, July 23 and use the Facebook message feature to send your contact information
5. DTC will announce the Grand Prize Winner on July 27. Happy dancing!Grand Prize: A walk-on role in Dallas production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat plus 4 VIP tickets for family and friends to attend the performance in which the winner appears. *Please read the contest rules and regulations, available for download at http://dastheatercenter.org/ For tickets call the Box Office 214-880-0202