Tuesday, April 03, 2012

TALES OF A TEXAS TORNADO

Priyadarshi Saket
‎"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."


This QUOTE appeared on my screen as a booming voice on the intercom told everyone in my loft complex to go down to the basement as we are under a tornado watch.

Everyone in the building rushed downstairs, bringing their dogs and children.
It was an almost perfect storm shelter—below the ground and only a few windows near the entry.

So what do you do when you are sitting in a basement with dozens of your neighbors? I brought my computer and cell phone. Most people brought ipods.


How people dealt with being in the basement anticipating a tornado:

Urban market is probably the only place that appreciated the tornado. It was good for business. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of people were waiting in the basement. News from smart phones and computers was shared. Predictions and contradicting reports spread through the basement

We were anxious and had no idea how long we would need to stay in the basement.
What do you do when you are anxious? Eat.

I noticed what people were purchasing at Urban Market:

1. The man in front of me got three bottles of water and a pack of cigarettes.

2. I got a Snickers Ice Cream bar. Chocolate and ice cream are universal comfort food.

3. Lady behind me got a six-pack of beer and a candy bar.

4. Perhaps the wisest woman was the one who bought a bottle of Barefoot Wine. Not for herself, she insisted, but a neighbor who was really nervous.

5. I wondered if the man who bought six large bottles of water was a pessimist. He said he just never got down to the basement.



The building survived and so did the residents.

No comments: